It is that time of year to decide - are you going to book a reservation for Valentines and go out with the masses? Or should you make a special dinner at home while you share a nice bottle of wine with the one you love? Our vote is on the latter and we're sharing a favorite "bistro quality" menu made in your very own kitchen.
- 2 8-10 oz filet mignons
- 4 tablespoons high-fat European butter
- Let the above ingredients come to room temperature an hour before cooking
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees when you begin to cook
2. Coat steaks with 1 tbsp kosher salt each and coarsely ground black pepper
3. Set a cast iron skillet over high heat until it smokes- about 5 minutes
4. Coat pan with 2 tablespoons neutral oil like canola oil and set steaks in skillet. Leave steaks alone for 2 1/2 minutes.
6. Once steak releases easily, turn it cook undisturbed for 2 minutes and transfer skillet to center rack of oven. For rare cook 4 minutes, for medium rare cook 6 minutes.
7. Return skillet to stove off heat add butter, 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme and 2 cloves of garlic bruised with the flat of a knife.
8. Place fries in the oven and cook as directed (look for a good brand like Alexia)
9. Tip the pan towards you and spoon hot butter over the steaks for about 1 1/2 minutes.
10. Transfer steaks to plates along with pan juices and cover each plate with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before eating.
Toss the salad of your choice with AR Reserve and serve with the steak, fries and red wine.
Happy Valentines Day!